Tuesday, March 2, 2010

Did you know there are 3 types of Galaxies ?

Nor did I!! But there are and that is my observation project this week! It was fun to learn about them, because I had no idea. I hope you enjoy the pics! Wish me luck on my test tomorrow!

Spiral Galaxies examples: Milky Way and the Andromeda Galaxy. They have a central concentration of stars, called a bulge. And are flat, rotating disk with stars, gas, and dust. Most galaxies are this type.



Elliptical Galaxies examples: M32, M49, M59, Maffei They have an elliptical shape and are smooth. Can have over trillion stars. Mostly made up of older low mass stars.



Irregular Galaxies examples : NGC 1427A and Sextans A They are any galaxy that fit into the other 2 galaxy shape definition. They can be any shape, size, and are made up of all kinds of things.

No comments:

Post a Comment